Friday, May 6, 2011

Hiatus Briefing and "Invisible Cities"

Hey all, been a while.  Took a bit of a break as the spring semester started to get hectic really quickly.  Shakespeare, Advanced Composition, just needed to focus.  Sat my final exam today: Shakespeare.  Think I'm coming out with a 3.9 this time around, oh well.  Heading to London in two weeks for a summer study abroad, hopefully I'll be able to keep up with this blog and the London vlog at the same time.  Check in for updates.  Anyway, here's what I'm reading now.



Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities.  Amazing book and required reading for my London excursion.  Win-win.  Cities imagines conversations between Marco Polo and Kubali Khan where Polo describes various cities.  More poetry than prose, it's beautiful in its English translation -- I wonder what it's like in the original Italian.

Researching graduate schools for next year.  Didn't know that to get a Masters in English, you have to demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language.  Some places make you learn two.  Can't be dealing with this:  took three years of Spanish in high school and a semester of Russian as a Freshman.  A lot of good that'll do me.  Apparently the language has to be related to your field of interest, i.e. the subject of your dissertation.  Think I'll go with Latin.  Maybe Italian.

Invisible Cities available here, or check out paperbackswap.

No comments:

Post a Comment